Friday 4 April 2008

Small victory cheers me

A small victory against journalistic misrepresentation had put a smile on my face today.
The BBC in a story on the Highland & Islands section of their news website had alleged that a march in Inverness by the Apprentice Boys of Derry would be able to go ahead as "European Laws prevented the council from banning it". I therefore got on the phone to their online news section and queried what European Law they referred to. They said that they'd check it out and get back to me. The text in question disappeared a few seconds later!

1 comment:

Stephen Glenn said...

I'm intrigued as the son of a Derry man. Just why Inverness would need to celebrate the shutting of the gates in the City Wall in King James' face, a stone's throw from my Gran's old two up two down, way back in the 17th Century in the first place.

I wasn't aware that Inverness had to do the same. But then again I was shocked to be woken up by a Orange March one Saturday shortly after I moved over here. I didn't realise that those days weren't quite behind me.