Monday, 20 August 2007

In memory of John Rubie Dale 1925 - 2007

This post is to celebrate the life of my Dad, John Rubie Dale, who died at 00.45 hours on Saturday the 18th of August 2007.

Haven't been up to posting before now for obvious reasons.

Dad was born on the 23rd of March 1925 and was one of 5 brothers, one of whom died at around the age of five. Those who survived to adulthood were (in age order) Archibald, John (Dad), William & Robin - Uncles Archie (84) and Robin (66) are still living.

On leaving school at the age of 14 he, after several jobs, was apprenticed as a slater & roughcaster, to the Rubie firm, which he was related to. This apprenticeship was interrupted by the second world war. A pragmatic man he eschewed the opportunity to join the commandos and subsequently "accidentaly" managed to fail his training course to become a rear gunner on the North sea bi-planes (life expectancy of 6 weeks). Eventually he settled in as an armourer on aircraft carriers of the Fleet Air Arm, serving in th Med and Far East. He always warned Billy and I to avoid the Isle of Man, just in case we met anyone who looks like us!

In 1946 he joined Scottish Masonic lodge number 149 - Irvine St Andrew's (which iconic Scottish poet Rabbie Burns attended during his period in Irvine, although well before Dad's time) and remained an active member for some 60 years

A year later he met the love of his life, Marion Lockhart (Mum) and married her in 1948. Mum and Dad had many happy years together but these were cut short by my Mum's early death on the 1st of April 1989.

John and Marion had two Sons - Billy, my Brother, was born in January 1950 and after, as Dad quipped "eleven years of going on to Glasgow rather than getting off at Paisley"I appeared in August 1961.

Dad worked consistantly at his Trade until 1972 when he decided that our family would be better off if he set up for himself. He ran his own sole trader business for almost 30 years and was a tradesman of high reputation which, according to impartial winesses, was well deserved.

In the last few years he suffered a stroke which caused Dementia. This led to him being hospitalised some 23 months ago then going to a Nursing home 16 months ago. As noted above he died on the 18th of August 2007. Cause of death was bronchial pneumonia.

There is so much more that I would like to say about Dad but shall leave to future posts. I will however, with many others, celebrate his life on Thursday at the Funeral Parlour, Cemetary and Purvey.

Goodbye Dad.


Toby Philpott said...

From one son of a Freemason to another I give you my deepest condolences.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.